In the last few months, during the age of coronavirus, the number of restaurants offering deliveries has grown significantly. For many restaurants, deliveries have become the only source of income, and that said, the only way to survive in the gastronomy business. Delivery orders have a lower margin, and their introduction involves many logistical problems that a restaurant owner has to solve. Do you have no experience in deliveries? Are you afraid that the quality of your dishes will decrease? Do you worry that your restaurant will start getting bad reviews, and you will lose clients?
In today’s article, we will tell you how to successfully introduce food delivery from your restaurant!
Start selling online
Cooperation with food delivery portals is the first step to selling your dishes online. However, this solution will not be beneficial for all restaurants. A lot depends on the size of the city where your restaurant is located, the budget you have and the time you can dedicate to marketing and your business structure. Research carried out in several European cities by UberEats shows that most of the premises joining the platform did not previously offer food delivery. In Warsaw, it was only 36% of restaurants, in Paris and London 38%, and in Madrid 52%. The same research also shows that after joining the platform, some restaurants recorded an increase in sales. That was the case for 69% of London restaurants, 74% in Paris, 67% in Warsaw, and 59% in Madrid.
If you are wondering whether joining a food delivery platform would be beneficial for your business, make sure to check out our previous post, in which we analyze the advantages and disadvantages of working with such service providers.
1. The key to success – drivers
At the very start, you have to decide whether you want to recruit drivers or use the ones hired by third-party platforms. If you choose the first option, you need to ensure that someone or something helps you manage their work time. You can hire a dispatcher or automate this process so that each of your employees can take orders. Thanks to automation, you will no longer have to look for people who know the city well. The Papu.io POS system informs employees whether a given address belongs to the restaurant’s delivery zone and tells them how much to charge for delivery. Working with Papu.io is also a great help for the drivers! They can see how much time they have to reach the clients and can contact them at any time, using the phone number saved in the application.
2. Online advertising
When you decide to expand your services and deliver food to customers, you should think about promoting your restaurant online. Some restaurants make online sales only through food delivery platforms. Unfortunately, that means all online orders will incur a commission. For this reason, it is worth upkeeping an additional sales channel – the restaurant’s website where you can sell your dishes without paying third-party companies.
Websites set up by Papu.io have a fixed monthly cost and are integrated with Google Analytics. Connecting analytics lets you check how many people visit the restaurant’s website, what percentage of visitors place an order, who the website users are, whether paid advertising is profitable, etc.
Besides having your own website, there are a few more ways to improve your online visibility:
- being active on Facebook – for tips on how to reach more people with your content and how to self evaluate your fan page, check out our previous post
- adding a Google Business Card
- using Google Ads
- buying advertising space on a given food delivery platform.
3. Offline advertising
Once you have taken care of online advertising, you should think about increasing the recognition of your premises in your neighborhood. Try a simple and proven method – leaflets.
If you have a restaurant website, be sure to include its address on the flyer! An interesting sign displayed in front of your restaurant will also help encourage passers-by to place an order at your restaurant!
4. The right tools
Maintaining the quality of customer service is a challenge for restaurants that have started offering food delivery. Taking care of drivers and launching online orders is just the beginning of a long road to developing a strong position in a new market. The restaurateur must ensure that the food reaches the customer quickly, that orders keep on coming, and that the restaurant’s online rating systematically improves (or remains at a relatively high level). To make this happen:
- Restaurant staff must work efficiently and erroneously. A big problem with restaurants offering food delivery is the multitude of available sales channels. Orders are placed by phone, through the restaurant’s website, or through various portals (often one portal = one tablet). In times of increased traffic, it is easy to make a mistake, especially when a waiter needs to rewrite the delivery information on small pieces of paper. Mistakes happen frequently, and even a small error can affect the rest of the working day.
- Drivers need to play fair and deliver orders as quickly as possible. Unfortunately, that’s not always the case. Cigarette breaks or a complete deviation from the route cause problems for many restaurateurs.
- Restaurant owners need access to data! Numbers will help them build a promotional strategy, find out which dishes are the most popular and which sales channels are the most effective. It is worth remembering that when cooperating with food delivery platforms, restaurateurs often lose access to data, which makes them even more dependent on their business partners.
- The restaurateur needs to know who is working diligently and who is slacking. Unfortunately, restaurant owners haven’t got the time to spend the whole day watching over their business. Therefore, they are not able to resolve conflicts between employees or properly assess their involvement.
These are just a few of the problems faced by restaurants that offer food delivery. Fortunately, the right POS system can help you solve them! Thanks to Papu.io, the whole delivery process becomes well-organized and orderly. Working on the system means that restaurant employees make fewer mistakes, orders reach customers on time, suppliers spend less money on fuel and the restaurant’s online rating gets a boost!
What are the benefits of a good POS system?
POS system Papu.io will allow you to solve the problems faced by the competition and gain an advantage in the food service industry. How?
- The system collects orders from various sales channels. That means it does the job that is usually the responsibility of a waiter. In addition, thanks to a simple panel, it facilitates entering delivery information and automatically completes data about regular customers.
- Thanks to Papu.io, restaurant staff see the location of drivers in real-time. As a result, the owner can check if orders arrive on time and make sure that drivers don’t deviate from the course. Papu.io data shows that since implementing the system, restaurateurs have spent about 8% less on fuel!
- Access to data is crucial when building your position on the market! At the end of the workday, restaurateurs using the Papu.io solution receive a data report to help them grow their business.
- Thanks to the POS system, restaurant owners can examine which of their employees was the most productive. With the software, they can check who accepted the order and which driver delivered it. Thanks to this feature, restaurant owners can easily find a person responsible for any mistakes made during the delivery process.
- Your online rating can improve! Restaurants offering food delivery care about good online reviews! It’s no surprise since a “one-star” drop can lead to a 5% to 9% reduction in turnover (Harvard Business School – 2016). According to Papu.io’s research, restaurants that started working with the system improved their average Internet rating from 0.5 to 1.5 “stars”!
- Based on many factors, the software estimates when the order will reach the customer. It takes into account the number of people on a shift, the number of orders in the queue, the estimated time of preparation of a given dish, the distance that the driver must cover, etc.
- The system enables easy modification of the already placed orders and gives access to the archive.
- End-of-day settlements take no more than 2 minutes! Thanks to Papu.io, waiters can see how much cash the drivers had with them, where they traveled and how much money they should have at the end of the day. This means that no restaurant employees have to stay after hours!
Food delivery – things you need to remember!
By offering food delivery, you have a chance to reach a new group of customers. However, expanding your services requires suitable preparations.
You need to analyze your competition, select items from the menu, prepare a marketing strategy, and solve all necessary organizational issues.
Before introducing any changes, we strongly recommend that you invest in a tool that will minimize the number of errors made by your staff and improve the delivery process by automating some of its elements. Working on the Papu.io POS system gives the owner control over what is happening in a restaurant, enables restaurant staff to work more efficiently, and improves the restaurant’s online rating.
All things considered, by having
- the right tool to automate the delivery process
- access to a group of trusted employees
and by taking care of
- online and offline advertising,
your restaurant can easily become successful and win the hearts of many customers with your take-out dishes and a high level of service!
Check out how our system can help manage deliveries from your restaurant!