How to choose the right POS for a restaurant
What is a POS system?
Point of Sale (POS) is essential for running a successful business today. Initially, POS was regular billing software that took orders and generated receipts. However, as technology advanced, it has evolved into a complex restaurant management system.
The POS system is a complex restaurant management solution.
Why do restaurants need a POS System?
It’s simple – the model of working with sticky notes is ineffective, outdated and associated with errors, and in solving these errors you need a “helping hand”. Armed with intelligent reporting, analytics, customer relationship management and more… a POS system can make your work, and your team’s work a lot easier. The POS system will help you:
- save time by increasing the efficiency of your operations,
- improve the quality of customer service,
- help you make smarter decisions thanks to data and analysis,
- reduce the number of administrative errors and errors made by the staff,
- from a long-term perspective, it generates a return on investment thanks to the increased productivity of the team.
Point-of-sale systems can offer many benefits, but keep in mind that not all of them will be right for your restaurant. You need a system suited to your needs.
A POS can be the core of your business. It’s a center that connects everything – sales, inventory, customer management, and more.
Types of systems – which one is the best?
Have you ever wondered what types of POS systems are available on the market? We will try to answer this question in detail to help you make the right decision. Here are the types of POS systems that are most often used by restaurateurs:
Stationary POS system
The most traditional system usually runs on a computer. It connects to peripheral devices such as barcode scanners, card readers, receipt printers, and cash drawers – so it can function like a typical cash register. It is a good choice for companies with dedicated payment stands but still has many disadvantages.
- High initial cost – you have to invest in expensive equipment to start, and the purchase of the system itself can be estimated in the range of EUR 3000 to 4000 – instead of a fixed subscription fee or a lease.
- No mobility – you need to be on-site to view analytical reports, make changes or check the status of your customers’ orders.
Cloud POS system
A cloud-based POS terminal can be confusingly similar to a stationary system. Instead of installing software on a local server, software for a cloud-based POS system is installed in remote POS data centers. The system itself can run on any compatible device. There are several significant advantages to configuring a cloud terminal:
- Remote Access – Allows business owners to access software tools from any internet-connected device, no matter where they are.
- Automatic Updates – Allows POS companies to update their software from a remote location.
- Affordability – Instead of paying a large amount upfront, with most cloud-based systems you pay a monthly subscription fee.
Mobile POS system
The so-called mPOS can be thought of as a sub-category of cloud-based POS systems. It is a portable device that functions as a POS terminal. MPOS systems connect to many hardware peripherals. Their main advantage is that they are portable. They enable employees to move around the point of sale, serve customers, advise them and accept payments wherever they are.
- Mobility – This type of system is popular with businesses that are on the move.
- Low Cost – Software for mobile POS systems are typically applications that have a low monthly subscription fee and charge for payment processing.
The most important functions that a POS system can offer
Facilitates settlement operations
Invoicing is one of the most important operations in a restaurant. In addition to simple billing, many other things can streamline processes in your restaurants, and improve your customer experience.
- Your restaurant’s POS system may allow employees to view the entire menu on the screen. This function reduces the amount of manual work and speeds up the entire ordering process.
- Intelligent POS allows you to split the bill according to the customer’s request.
- Automatic settlement of employees.
It improves the management of customer relations
- Using the point of sale in your restaurant, you can centrally manage the complete customer database. You can save data such as customer addresses, favorite dishes, or other important information that will facilitate communication between your employees and the consumer.
- Once you have all the data, you can send personalized SMS messages and emails informing customers about new events in your restaurant, special offers, and discounts.
- Loyalty programs are a great way to increase customer satisfaction. The POS system integrated with CRM allows you to use personalized loyalty programs, create discount codes, etc.
In business, you always want to increase profits, but to achieve this assumption, you have to do the last button. The POS system will support you in managing your business thanks to:
- a detailed list of sales reports for every restaurant that you own. Managing multiple premises at the same time will become easier!
- integration with various applications, e.g. food delivery platforms. Thanks to a POS system, orders from various sales channels are in one place. This eliminates the need to manually add orders received from different channels.
- A POS programmed for bars and restaurants can offer table management and a booking option.
Many times you may not be able to physically visit your restaurant. However, that doesn’t mean you have to worry about the lack of sales reports. The POS system can provide reports in real-time, so you will always know what is happening on your premises.
- The POS system provides detailed reports and invoices of all operations that take place in your restaurant.
- As a restaurant owner, you will be able to customize reports for your convenience and view their graphic representation.
- You can receive all these reports directly to your email address.
- In the reports, you get detailed information about the most frequently purchased meals, so you know which dishes should stay on the menu and which are better to get rid of. In addition, you gain information such as the number of orders from a particular sales channel, the number of dishes sold on a specific day, average delivery time, and many, many more!
- The organization of work at the restaurant room-kitchen level is a big advantage of POS systems. Thanks to this feature, the flow of information in the restaurant are much faster.
- Not every system has this function, but showing the current location of the driver on the map helps waiters in allocating orders in the most optimal way and often involves reducing delivery times.
- The ability to control the efficiency of your employees’ work. – Thanks to the POS system, you can check how many orders were accepted by each individual employee and what their value was. Additionally, if the employee made a mistake while accepting the order, you can check who is responsible for it.
- Restaurant resource management is imperative to avoid unnecessary food waste. Some POS software offers models that allow you to track inventory and help you plan your purchases more efficiently.
The perfect POS system is a system tailored to the needs of your restaurant. If you run a delivery place, check what Papu.io offers. Sign up for a free demo and see how we automate the delivery management process.